This Spaghetti Sandwich was one of those crazy good accidents. I made way too much spaghetti and ran out of pasta sauce and this idea came to mind – worked out pretty well!
I was on a domestic flight to Shanghai recently and despite the journey lasting only one hour, the airline served up a tasty treat – a rice sandwich. Buns made of rice and filled with spicy pork. This was a game changer for me because I realised if the carb is starchy enough, it’ll probably work as bread!
Spaghetti Sandwich Recipe
Makes 4 burgers
Ingredients for Spaghetti Sandwich:
- 500g spaghetti
- 50g plain flour
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 450ml soya milk
- 2tbsp yeast flakes
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 4 medium tofu steaks
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2tbsp vinegar
- 2tbsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- Boil noodles until al dente and leave aside.
- Heat the flour and vegetable oil together until a smooth dough is achieved.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and stir over a medium heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Mix in the nutmeg, yeast flakes and salt.
- Stir the sauce into the noodles, lay out flat on a baking tray and leave to cool.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut the noodle ‘cake’ into rounds and place on a greased baking tray.
- Bake at 190C for 20 minutes.
- For the onion marmalade, pan fry the onions in 2tbsp oil fir 15 minutes until brown.
- Add the vinegar, salt, sugar and 3tbsp water and leave to simmer for a further 15 minutes before cooling.
- Pan fry the tofu steaks in 1tbsp oil until golden brown on both sides (roughly 10 minutes) and place between the noodle buns topped with the onion marmalade.
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at this recipe please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!