This vegan Raw Strawberry Shortcake is packed with protein and other nourishing goodies that make it the perfect snack, breakfast and even dessert. It’s also flourless and therefore gluten-free.
Everyone knows full well that cookies always taste better in their raw form- that malleable, doughy texture that you can just bite into like a baby’s bottom! What works in my favour with an unbaked biscuit is that cooking and long waiting-times are non-applicable.
The cookie dough I’m familiar with generally contains chocolate chips for a nice bite in almost every mouthful, so freeze-dried fruits are a great alternative, my favourite clearly being strawberry. It’s tart, yet subtly sweet nature accompanied by a light, crisp texture, makes this a winner for me. But the real reason as to why I’m using this berry is it takes me back to a shortcake stack I ate some years ago at a non-memorable restaurant with an evidently inspirational dessert menu.
Raw Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Ingredients for raw strawberry shortcake:
- 150g dates soaked and mashed
- 75g ground almonds
- 50g dried strawberries soaked and mashed
- 50g whole oats
- 50g oat flour
- 1 tbsp flaxseed oil
- 75g ground cashews
- 200g ground oats
- 60g freeze dried strawberries
- Combine all ingredients apart from the freeze dried strawberries with a spoon.
- Remove from the bowl and knead.
- Fold in the freeze dried strawberries.
- Knead into desired shape(s) and store either in the fridge or freezer (if in freezer, allow to thaw before eating).
Made this Recipe?
If you had a go at this recipe please feel free to give me a shout on Instagram at @food_flaneur – would love to see your pics!